You Are Part of the Team that Keeps Your Diabetes Under Control


self-management diabetes care

If you have diabetes, you’re not alone in this. As a matter of fact, another 29 million people on this planet know what you go through as they also live with the disease.

Only 5 percent of them have Type-1 diabetes, where the body is incapable of making insulin, leaving the other 95 percent in the Type-2 category, where insulin secretion is dramatically decreased.

At the same time, Type-2 patients also struggle with insulin resistance occurs, which means their bodies do not properly utilize insulin to control blood glucose. Another 86 million people have prediabetes, where blood glucose levels are slightly elevated but aren’t high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.

It has been shown that one of the most effective ways to manage your disease is to work with a team of diabetes care professionals. But the most important person in that team who needs to take an active role in your diabetes team is you.

Ultimately, you are the one who needs to take care of your diabetes 24/7, so that means you’re in charge. You are the most fitted team member to provide the care professionals with insight into your control, successes, and struggles with the disease.

After we’ve established you are the expert on you, let’s have a look at the other members of you diabetes team: your diabetes educators, your primary healthcare provider, and in some cases, a mental health professional.

Your primary healthcare provider is the one responsible for prescribing medications for you, order lab tests, help you establish goals for blood glucose, provide your physical examination, and recommend a treatment course based on your individual needs.

Different characters fit the profile for a primary healthcare provider, such as a family practice physician, an advanced practice registered nurse, or an internal medicine physician.

If need be, your primary healthcare provider can refer you to a dedicated endocrinologist. But in the end, self-management plays the most crucial role in a successful disease management.

Diabetes self-management is a sort of training that helps you gain the necessary knowledge and skills so you can live with the condition and prevent or delay the complications of diabetes.

This is where diabetes educators come into play, and your primary healthcare provider should be able to direct you toward the appropriate diabetes self-management education when you receive the diagnosis.

Your diabetes educators will help with counseling on new medications, positive lifestyle changes, including physical activity and diets, and other factors that will help you live as comfortable as possible.
Image Source: Diabetes.ie


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*